- Jenny Norris - disability representation. Says that writers draw on prejudice and stereotypes about the disabled to shape characters, which reinforces these negative viewpoints.
- Karen Ross - said that the disabled want to address "respect issues" in the media, and that they want more authentic portrayals which make disability seem like an ordinary thing as opposed to something different.
- Roland Barthes - Enigma codes/Mythologies [LINK]
- Alvarado - Four themes/stereotypes in the media's representation of ethnicity - exotic, dangerous, pitied, humorous.
- Claude Lévi-Strauss - Binary opposition theory.
- Signifier - the physical object presented to the viewer.
- Signified - the meaning/mental concept conveyed by the signifier.
- Representation - how people are shown/portrayed. [LINK]
- Semiotics - the study of signs and meanings.
- Verisimilitude - a sense of realism
- Synergy - different companies working together to market a product e.g. the film company's brand being reinforced by merchandise manufacturers.
- Proliferation - how easy it is to access
- Four-quadrant film - aimed at the young, the old, male and female.
- Parody - something which takes concepts from an original piece for the sake of satire.
- Hybrid (genre) - borrows concepts from multiple genres.
Audiences & Institutions
- Audience - the consumer/viewing public
- Convergence - how different technologies/companies come together.
- Ideology - a common consensus of the 'ideal'
- Institutions - Companies involved in production and distribution